Family roots pulled up and separated

oak tree

Daily Post word: Root

My mother was the central root of my family “tree”. She kept a strong link between us all, and allowed the family “tree” to stand tall and secure in the ground. When she was alive we were all gathered together. We knew what was happening to each of us at almost all times. Every celebration was a large family affair. We always felt a connection with our childhood home in the woods. She was our childhood home, and when she lived, that “home” was a living thriving being. It was rare that any one of us (her children, spouse, parents, siblings, in-laws, cousins, friends) ever felt neglected or alone. There was a closeness and interconnection to each member root of the family and beyond because of our link to her.

About 12 years ago my mother was taken from us suddenly and brutally. It was a shock to us all. The absence of that central “root” of our family left just thinner weaker roots in place. But slowly over time with every storm these weakened roots got pulled and maybe propagated elsewhere. The connections between the remaining roots disappeared to a large degree. Others just stayed, but weakened the strength of the remaining family “tree”. Some were uprooted and lay somewhere on the side tumbled away by a storm.

uprooted treeNone of these weakened or separated roots was to blame, it’s just that unfortunately no one root thickened more than the rest and took over as the central root of support. Or if they did, they did so only for their own propagated roots separate from the ones of the initial tree.

Now I have only memories of the family “tree” I once knew. I am one of the weaker roots and have difficulty finding the others. Perhaps the others feel the same way, or are just too busy strengthening their own in their new locations.

13 thoughts on “Family roots pulled up and separated

• updownflight April 26, 2017 / 3:22 pm

Thanks, Dream Desire. The tree is impressive. I run into such great trees occasionally in the woods.

• updownflight April 26, 2017 / 4:05 pm

Thank you, Train Today. If it was beautiful, then it is because I was thinking about my mother.

1. yuhublogger April 26, 2017 / 5:56 pm

Your mother sounds like a delightful person. Every family needs someone like her. A lovley take on the prompt.

• updownflight April 26, 2017 / 5:57 pm

Thank you, yuhublogger. My mother was always such a positive and encouraging person.

• updownflight April 27, 2017 / 12:37 pm

Thank you, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve. I, too, am happy I discovered that tree. It is certainly as grand as the large family I remembered from my youth.

2. Charlene Bullard - FaithtoRaiseNate.com April 27, 2017 / 12:47 pm

Wow!! I sometimes think of this very thing. Who will be the deep root if something happens to the elders of my family? Great post. Love this part “None of these weakened or separated roots was to blame, it’s just that unfortunately no one root thickened more than the rest and took over as the central root of support.”

• updownflight April 27, 2017 / 12:55 pm

Thank you so much, Charlene. I guessed that a lot of people would respond to this post.

There often seems to be at least one person in each family that brings everyone together. It’s sad when there isn’t anymore, like in my family. Maybe someday you can be that special central root for your family.