The thrill of exhibitionism/indecent exposure

exhibitionism

When I saw today’s Daily Post word “exposed”, the first thing that came to my mind was exhibitionism/indecent exposure, and the thrill it gives to the people who expose themselves. [Funny where my thoughts go, huh?] I have a few true stories of this to share that I have encountered in the past. I’ll admit that none of these incidences scared me in any way, though I’m sure victims of exhibitionism can be scared in some circumstances.The very first time I was a “victim” of exhibitionism was in Poznan, Poland. I was walking towards the train station with a Polish friend named Elzbieta. It was a narrow walkway that afforded the exhibitionist a bit of privacy. He obviously saw two early 20 something year old women coming, which surely excited him. As we walked down the walkway the middle-aged man quickly dropped his pants and drawers and with a huge smile started to wave his favorite private part at us, as if saying a hugely friendly “Zen dobry” (Good day). He got a thrill, and we got a huge laugh. One might think we should have been just shocked and scared, but somehow it didn’t end up that way. We had fun telling the story to our friends when we saw them.

Only a few years later I was living in Taichung, Taiwan teaching at an English school for Taiwanese children. Class was over for the day and it was starting to get dark. There was still enough light, however, to see most things in the distance. I was walking down a sidewalk with a small grassy field to my left. I was looking straight ahead, but then heard a man call out “Xiǎojiě!” (Miss!) in Mandarin Chinese. I looked to my left and saw an old man smiling widely, shaking his old “friend” in my direction. Since I had experienced such an action in the past I wasn’t shocked, but decided to chide him by telling him (in Chinese) that “You don’t impress me with your small penis. Go home!” Then I looked forward and continued to walk away.

The last time I witnessed exhibitionism was at an obvious place. New Orleans. If you have ever been there, then I bet you’ve seen a thing or two, as well. It was Saint Patrick’s Day, so there was obviously a big crowd. People wearing several beads around their necks, jazz music spilling out into the streets, people holding plastic cups full of beer, and many eyes focused upwards to the second floor balconies of Bourbon Street buildings. In this case, most of the “exhibitionists” were drunk women trying to attract men with fun. Men would call for them to “Show your tits! Show your tits!” then one or more women would oblige. I’m sure in these cases the women didn’t actually have a psychological disorder of exhibitionism, just disinhibition. My husband and I enjoyed the fun, but certainly didn’t instigate anything.

OK, now for a confession. I must admit that I myself have exposed some private parts in public in the past, though only to my husband. I have bipolar disorder and in the past experienced disinhibition when hypomanic/manic. I remember in my early marriage frequently being in that state. I got in my head that it would be fun to shock my husband. You might find me literally dancing down grocery store aisles and singing. Another thing I often did was revel in flashing my new husband. So when I thought the coast was clear, up went my shirt and bra. “Honey!” I’d yell. He’d look and yell “Oh my god!” I must have done that at least 10 times in the past. Hubby would seem gleefully shocked, and I was gleefully thrilled. Once I was wearing a skirt and flashed from there. Yes, what bipolar hypomania/mania can lead you to do.

So those are my stories of exhibitionism/indecent exposure. Have you ever witnessed or done it? What were your reactions/feelings?

25 thoughts on “The thrill of exhibitionism/indecent exposure

1. Nel May 7, 2017 / 3:24 pm

Haha! I haven’t done anything like that before but I would like to. The only exbitionist type thing I’ve seen was on the island of Maui. You have Big Beach and Little Beach and you have to climb to get to Little Beach. Some of my friends said there was to be a fire show and so of course I was interested in going. What they failed to mention is that the beach was a nude beach so I wasn’t prepared for the hundreds of naked people walking around, lol. After that initial shock though, it was a fun time. I did not get naked and I tried (and failed) not to stare at some hahaha

• updownflight May 7, 2017 / 3:26 pm

Hi Nel. I’ve encountered nude beaches in France, and I know other Europeans don’t mind being nude on beaches, but there they generally try not to laugh at each other. I bet if they did there could be a fight. LOL!

2. Irene May 7, 2017 / 6:02 pm

LOL!! I have had a few drunken men try to impress me by showing me their junk in night clubs- I was always like “Yeah okay- if that is the best pick up you have- you’ve got zero game! Not interested!” I have to say I like to keep a bit of mystery.

• updownflight May 7, 2017 / 6:56 pm

I agree. That’s why only my hubby (and past lovers) ever got a showing.

3. Jessica Bakkers May 7, 2017 / 11:06 pm

Bahahaha! That cracked me up. Must say I’ve NEVER been on the receiving end of a public flash. Feeling rather unloved. May have done a public flash / tease to hubby but nothing wild. My life must be lacking 😉

• updownflight May 8, 2017 / 1:01 am

No, but maybe it’s time for your hubby to reciprocate.

4. NaPropasti May 8, 2017 / 9:35 pm

Haha, I wonder if commenting on the small size (of his hands) would be, psychologically speaking, the best way to shame any such criminal into quitting. But then again, I’m sure there are some flashees, who enjoy the freak show.

• updownflight May 8, 2017 / 9:42 pm

No, I doubt it. Some men don’t mind having small hands if they truly believe the other is plenty big.

Definitely some flashees like the show. Have you ever been flashed and liked the show, NaPropasti?

• NaPropasti May 9, 2017 / 1:00 pm

I have not, but my first “exposure” experience happened on vacation in Yugoslavia, when I was six years old. An old man flashed my sister. She ran and told Dad. He went after the creep with the vengeance of an angry lion, screaming “call the police” in broken Serbo-Croatian. Even though I had no idea what was so wrong about the gentleman’s pulling his pants down, I was extremely impressed by my Dad’s bravery after Mom told me the man was a dangerous criminal.

• updownflight May 9, 2017 / 1:10 pm

Thank you for sharing the story. Do you still think the man was a dangerous criminal?

I’m sure some could be dangerous, but others I believe just have a psychiatric illness and usually just seek out the reaction.

5. Amrita Rao May 12, 2017 / 1:16 pm

I guess, when we are in that trance we commit silly mistakes not judging but nudity is in accepted and sometimes we may become a victim but all in good faith youth does blunders but that’s life

• updownflight May 12, 2017 / 1:23 pm

Yes, a bit of bipolar hypomania/mania and one becomes disinhibited. I’m much more stable now. I guess it was a fun memory. I enjoyed laughing about it.

6. Paul May 17, 2018 / 3:56 pm

The one and only time this happened to me was when i was staying in a hotel in Arizona. My room was on the 1st floor and had windows looking out on a big vacant lot. i was in my room preparing to go to the pool. I had taken off all my clothes to put on my suit when i heard giggling outside my window. i turned to see 2 girls looking right in at me! And, one of them said, “oooooo, look at yooooooouuuuu!!!!” like that. I quickly moved out of their view, but not before they got a good long look at my very naked and exposed self.

I remember being embarrassed as hell but, at the same time, feeling kind of … excited. It was a strange experience for me. And an equally strange feeling.

• updownflight May 17, 2018 / 4:32 pm

Thanks for sharing your story, Paul!

I think there definitely are two layers of both exhibitionism and voyeurism. Of course the dysfunctional types that are worthy of a diagnosis, and a more natural type born from fun and curiosity. I think a lot of people truly have participated in the latter.

It’s interesting, this post of mine has received almost the most views of any other I wrote. I think a lot of readers find it outside of WordPress, and the many within WordPress don’t “like” or comment for predictable reasons beyond just not enjoying the post. I’m happy that I wrote something that a variety of people searched out. There are of course fun stories people can relate to (like yours and mine). Or if anyone has experienced being at the receiving end or giving end of such experiences and feel upset by it, I hope they seek some counseling.

7. Susan June 27, 2018 / 1:51 am

I grew up as a nudest. I always got a rush when I was nude when people I did not know were looking at my nude body. I would leave my shades on my windows at night with my lights on while I walked around naked in my room. One night when my mom and dad were out of town on business. I got this wild idea to walk out in the front yard naked. I look around seen nobody around. There a city park about a mile away. I began walking naked to the park. I was getting turned on being nude in public. If anyone look out there window I was in deep trouble. I got to the park just walked around enjoying the night air on my naked body. Then some of the sprinklers came on. The cold water feels great on my naked body. Time came I had to go home. This time I was walking down the center of the street in my naked glory. One time I did see a car coming down the street. I did have to take cover behind a parked car. I got home I was enjoying being outside while nude I lay down in the grass between our house and the house next door. I fell asleep. When I awake it was almost sunrise. I had to wate for traffic to clear before I could get in. It was wild.

• updownflight June 27, 2018 / 2:04 pm

Thank you for sharing this story, Susan! It sounds like it was a lovely and liberating experience. Nudity or “exposure” in public does seem to be based on different purposes in terms of objective.

8. Susan July 8, 2018 / 4:54 pm

This is my second post. I have gone into downtown on a few times. Walked around nude in parking garage. I have even walked down the street nude at night. I love the risk. I get so turned on. I even stood naked like 100 feet in the woods from a state road. Watching the autos go by. I been in Park at night naked with people walking with in 20 feet not seeing me. The ones who have. Act like they don’t.

• updownflight July 8, 2018 / 7:21 pm

Hi Susan. When you take these risks of being seen naked, do you derive as much pleasure during the times you are not seen (even being “out” in public) as when you are?

In general, I am personally not compelled to wander in public naked, and yet as I wrote, when I’m manic from my bipolar disorder I have enjoyed taking such risks. For me, during those times, part of it is the thrill of the risk (and seeing shock), another part is the beauty of such freedom/liberation. I don’t get a sexual thrill, as much as a just a euphoric rush in my head.

I’m assuming you do not have mania, though from your posts in response to this topic, I gather that not being seen while in public feels just as liberating for you (or more) as being seen. Am I right? Do you ever experience distress as a result of your desire to be naked in public?