When I was “In the pink”

enthusiastic-1840031__340
Feeling great physically and emotionally

I have to confess that it’s been years since I exercised regularly. I am even disappointed in myself because I don’t eat as well as I used to. This was not always the case. I’ve had periods in my life when I exercised all of the time and maintained what my husband refers to as my “Every meal two veggie and/or fruit policy.” I was like an army sergeant about that. Luckily hubby likes veggies and fruits.

So now I have high cholesterol and high triglycerides. I was once even pre-diabetic. But lucky I did lose a chunk of weight that I gained from my mental illness and their accompanying medications. I lost over 30 lbs (14 kilograms) at one point, despite my medications. That normalized all of my blood work. Since then I unfortunately gained back about 10 lbs (4.5 kilograms) and some of my blood work is not so good again. I’m just a little over the normal BMI range.

dancer-2093996__340I was almost always very trim in my youth. As a kid and teen I was very slender. I started ballet classes at eight years old. By the time I was 15 I took up to eight classes every single week (mostly ballet). I was very serious about becoming a professional ballet dancer. I practiced at home when not in classes. I don’t think you could even have squeezed a centimeter of fat on my stomach.

I eventually quit ballet [That’s a long story that maybe I’ll write about in the future. It’s a sad one.] But I stayed active into my early 20s. I continued to dance on my own, and I walked and walked everywhere. When I lived in California I had no car. I’d walk up to three or four hours per day. I didn’t think anything of it. I can’t say I ate that well, though. I drank too much beer, and ate a lot of carbs. Though I lived with a boyfriend we hardly ate together. Where I lived (Berkeley, CA) there are so many cheap eats places that I rarely cooked. My favorite foods were Vietnamese, Middle Eastern, and Korean. I’d slip a salad or a burrito in occasionally, too.

Delaware and Raritan canal
Many miles walked down the Delaware and Raritan canal

So the time when I was very much “in the pink” (physically and emotionally) was when I was about 30 years old, and on zero medications (I hadn’t been diagnosed with bipolar disorder yet).  My best friend was training for a 3-day 60 mile total walk to support Multiple Sclerosis. Her uncle had MS and she was passionate about the cause. I, of course, contributed money, but what I contributed most was being her training buddy. After work and on the weekends we would walk along the Delaware and Raritan canal in our part of central New Jersey. The canal almost runs horizontally the entire length from New Jersey’s western border to its eastern border. We started training by walking about three miles. Then we worked up to five. Then six. Then eight. By the time the MS Walk was set to be held, my friend and I were walking up to 12 miles (19 kilometers) in a day, often four or even five days per week. You’ve got to believe we were slim. And to top it all off, at the time I had been following a very healthy diet of whole grains, lean meat, fat free dairy, and lots of veggies and fruit. I fit into my wedding dress again. Yay! My friend and I also loved the quality time together, chatting up a storm.

Now I swear I could hardly walk four miles. My current medications really slow me down, but I know that’s not a good excuse. Today is sunny and I should get my tush outside. Summer is coming and I have no good excuse.

21 thoughts on “When I was “In the pink”

1. ramblingsofruin May 11, 2017 / 6:11 pm

My eating habits aren’t the best and I could definitely exercise more. Know what you mean about weight gain and being slow from meds. They’re a curse really (but a oh so necessary one).

• updownflight May 11, 2017 / 6:15 pm

Yes, if only I could finally get past some more of my Seroquel XR sedation. Probably my other meds sedate me a bit, too. But I know that some of my lack of endurance for exercise is from just lack of exercise for too long.

I did one good thing so far. I ate steamed veggies for lunch. I’m patting myself on the back. I hope you get in some exercise and veggies today, too.

• ramblingsofruin May 11, 2017 / 6:20 pm

Yeah I know what you mean. I walk everyday to and from work but I don’t do any strenuous exercise (apart from the occasional hike every few months). I try to eat steamed veggies at least 3 times a week… but the rest of the food in Taiwan doesn’t lend itself to a healthy diet. I’m struggling but will keep trying. Well done you for having a healthy lunch 👍🏼😊

• updownflight May 11, 2017 / 6:59 pm

Thanks, ramblingsofruin.

Oh yes, you live in Taiwan. I know that it is hard to eat well there sometimes. Can I recommend that you find a Buddhist vegetarian take out joint? There was on maybe 6 blocks from my apartment in Taichung. The food was WONDERFUL and beautiful, too. I am not a vegetarian, but I was more than satisfied with their food. I remember buying it by weight.

2. AdashofJhaee May 11, 2017 / 6:46 pm

The eating habits is what Im trying to work on, but I mean, who doesnt love to eat? 😅 it’s just hard to say no to food.
    Wow you walk a lot while you were in California. 😬

I do walk in the afternoon like twice a week. I stopped going to the gym for 1 1/2 years now. And Im planning to be back soon.

You can start your daily walk even just for 15 minutes like around 5 pm when the sun is not too hot anymore 😊👌🏼

• updownflight May 11, 2017 / 7:01 pm

That’s true about starting with even 15 minutes. What I need to do is put it on my Outlook calendar. If I don’t do that, I’ll never even think of it.

3. Jamila Murtaza May 11, 2017 / 7:26 pm

Don’t worry.You’ll do good next time.
    I used to have a healthy diet plan but left behind during my worse times.Now I’m trying to be back where I left things and trust me some changes takes time.

4. Jessica Bakkers May 11, 2017 / 11:48 pm

My eating habits, exercise regime and weight suck – badly. I think the Pristique is partly to blame (for anxiety and depression) but now that i’ve given up work full time, I know my exercise regime is on the improve. I now have TIME to walk. And i’ve discovered morning walks are BLISS. Thanks for sharing and I love the expression, in the pink.

• updownflight May 11, 2017 / 11:57 pm

Thanks, Jessica. I’m glad to read that you’re enjoying more walks now. I have the time, but just have to do it.

• Jessica Bakkers May 12, 2017 / 4:23 am

Well don’t do what I just did today; walked to a local pub, had coffee and cake with a friend which turned into lunch, then the walk home. Walk negated by pub food and time negated by hanging out! Was fun though 🙂

• updownflight May 12, 2017 / 10:46 am

I’m glad you enjoyed a trip to the pub. I went to the pub yesterday, too.

• updownflight May 12, 2017 / 11:48 am

Yes, indeed. The pub is necessary sometimes. There’s always friendly people there, too. At least at my favorite pubs.