Mourning dove squabs fledged from the rose arbor nest

WP_20140610_002
Our rose arbor

Just outside my library window, I spy the June blooming of my pink roses. They climb and rest on a large arbor that stands in the front of my house.  Last year when the library window was open we sometimes heard the soft cooing of nesting mourning doves. The mother and father dove called each other to take over attending to their new squabs. The nest sat right atop the arbor hidden among the vines.

It was exactly during the blooming that their squabs grew large and eventually fledged. See them as they stared up at my husband photographing them from above. Mama is with them.

DSC_0825

I am so happy we had the joy of seeing this mourning dove family grow last year, but so sad that last week we lost one of our own.

The dove parents didn’t nest on our rose arbor this year, but when we open our back windows we do hear their mournful cooing. I can only hope they’ve welcomed new members to their family again, but we have no sight of their nest. It is probably hidden in the bush.

In my nephew’s obituary, my sister asked that in lieu of flowers we make a contribution to an organization that helps people like him.  The National Alliance On Mental Illness (NAMI). I was happy to support them in hopes that other loved ones will not leave their families as my nephew did. However, I did create a flower arrangement just for my nephew. It contains the pink roses from my rose arbor. I paired it with happy daisies.

Ode to my rose bush-001small

16 thoughts on “Mourning dove squabs fledged from the rose arbor nest

1. Nel June 17, 2017 / 10:36 pm

Beautiful post. Just beautiful

• Nel June 17, 2017 / 11:01 pm

I nominated you for sunshine blogger award if you haven’t seen it yet 😁

• updownflight June 17, 2017 / 11:06 pm

You’re so sweet, Nel! I loved your answers to the questions. I’m honored to accept the tag/nomination. I might have to wait until Monday to post about it, though, since I’m not sure what awaits me tomorrow.

• Nel June 17, 2017 / 11:07 pm

No problem. Take all the time you need 😊 You deserve all the sunshine!

2. Hussein Allam June 17, 2017 / 11:36 pm

Hi Updownflight!

Beautifully written, you have such a nice though for today, great work on your piece of writing, updownflight!

3. Jessica Bakkers June 18, 2017 / 9:28 am

The peace and beauty that doves represent will hopefully go a long way to healing the hurt you’ve faced recently. Like the free souls that those doves are, perhaps he is also now free and at peace. 😔🕊