Using my 100th blog post as a spring board

It’s been almost exactly four months since my first post here on WordPress. How quickly time flies! I’ve met so many wonderful bloggers these months, and appreciate all of you for your support, your inspiration, and all that you’ve taught me about writing, creativity, expression, and kindness.

Prior to creating my WordPress blog, I spent most of my online time journaling, mood charting, and group leading on a Bipolar support group. For years, my life seemed to mostly focus on my mental illness and disability.  But I’ve made good progress with my recovery and development in the past year. Yes, I’ve had a few hiccups, but none that have set me back too far or kept me from moving forward again.

post-milestone-100-2x
Yay! 100

Writing this 100th blog post is very significant to me. It represents my ability to stick with something long-term, which I had a lot of trouble doing in past years. In addition, just over 50% of my posts have nothing to do with mental illness. I’ve been happy to write the 40 something % about mental illness to share my experiences, and maybe fight stigma, but the other over 50% seems like good progress in shifting my thoughts away from it. I am also blessed to have a wide variety of followers; several who understand my mental health journey, and perhaps even more that follow me just because they have interest in my other writing (or perhaps even me) as a whole. I’ve lacked this variety of folks in my life for many years. I adore you all!

My last paid job included heavy marketing writing. I wrote content for brochures, advertisements, and counseling materials related to the English as a Second Language instruction industry. My writing on my blog is completely different. I’m not trying to sell any product or service. I’m writing posts that explore my own thoughts, experiences, and creativity. I’m doing something I always loved to do in my spare time. Tell stories. In fact, several posts I’ve written will in some form end up in my working memoir, which I started a few years ago, but made little progress on until these last four months. I still have several more chapters to write, many of which I hope will continue to capture the real me. Not just the mentally ill me, but the whole me. For a while I forgot about her, but in recent years she’s reemerged, and morphed into someone a little different (and maybe even a little better) than I even remember before I was aware of my illness, or even had it.

I still have some goals to reach before I fully spread my wings. Some relate to my bipolar treatment, others relate to endurance, anxiety control, and preparedness to take on new challenges. I’m not planning on stepping back to what I used to do. I’m rather interested in doing things that are new. Where I will exactly go is not yet determined, but I’m heading to that mystery place even now, even if quite slowly. Some of you have figuratively held my hand as I’ve progressed. Some of you are even lightly pushing me forward from behind. Ideas shared here are in the back of my mind stirring, soon to show themselves as a prepared concoction.

In this post I am going to issue myself a writing challenge. I hereby challenge myself to explore the evolving me, have oodles of fun, learn even more from fellow bloggers, and reach or exceed 200 posts by 2018.

Another challenge is to get out more into the real world beyond my bedroom nook. After all, writing ideas will eventually dry up if I continue to isolate. I need to feel the breeze against my skin, interact more with locals (both in town and in blog land), and even start to travel again.

Ready, set, GO!

13 thoughts on “Using my 100th blog post as a spring board

1. Nel June 26, 2017 / 6:02 pm

Cheering you on! I believe in you! And congratulations! It’s a great milestone! 🙂

2. lexiejungling June 26, 2017 / 6:18 pm

Congrats on 100 posts! I wish you the best of luck at achieving those goals! We believe in you. 🙂

3. abbeycoseattle June 26, 2017 / 6:32 pm

Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment. I think 200 by 2018 is very attainable!

• updownflight June 26, 2017 / 6:42 pm

Thank you, abbeycoseattle. I think the 200 goal is attainable, too, unless something happens. Even if I have a change in work I still hope to post a lot. It’s so pleasurable for me.

4. Hussein Allam June 26, 2017 / 11:09 pm

I am so pleased🙂 to know that you had such a good kind of progress compared to last year, well done, and congrats for the 100 hundred posts and this something deserved appreciation, and well done too for this effort. However, I could believe that marketing writing “English as second language”target is different of what you doing right,but it would be so great if you would take the chance to write some techniques and methodologies about English language for learners and teaching fields. It will be as an beautiful asset, any its just an opinion. Well done, updownflight! 🙂

• updownflight June 27, 2017 / 12:44 am

Thank you, Hussein Allam.

I’m sorry to say that I’m not an expert on ESL language instruction, but the topic you suggested would be interesting and potentially helpful. My experience was solely focused in marketing the programs and study locations.

• Hussein Allam June 27, 2017 / 12:47 am

I see, it’s all in hard work you do, marketing is a heavy job, keep the great work up, and hope you doing well too👍

5. bipolarsojourner June 27, 2017 / 4:08 am

congrats on post 100! too soon you’ll catch and pass my 269 posts. then again, you’ve been at this 4 months and i’ve been at it 4 years plus. then again, you have a career of writing and come from numbers. i wrote for classes and term papers, only when i had to. I really hated writing of any type up until 4 years ago.

since we’re both being feed by what we doing, let’s leave the numbers behind. let’s call it a draw.

• updownflight June 27, 2017 / 12:34 pm

I won’t be too hard on myself if I don’t make 200 by the end of the year, as long as I enjoy the writing between now and then. You’re right that numbers aren’t everything.

I’m so glad that we are both writing.

6. xKickz July 10, 2017 / 9:11 am

Wonderful, I’m glad and happy for you Thanks for bringing a smile to my face 🙂