Pluck me from this horrid place

key in door

Pluck me from this horrid place that I have lived in for so long. No, not from my literal home with you, my love, but from the jail of its inner rooms.

You know the jail itself is solely in my brain. Outside with you are miles of beauty. And yet you only ever look through my jail window at me, saturated by grey and black. Though I do see a glimpse of the outside beauty past your face, it seems surreal and distant. Your face looks sad and frustrated. I kiss it through the jail window, but we both want more.

Every day my dear love visits me in the early mornings and at night, but the visits seem so short. I deep down want to be with you fully and forever more, my love. Not just short-term conjugal visits. I want to skip with you through the flowers, fly through the endless sky, and glide down the mountains on our rumps. No barriers, no chains, but breezes blowing past our cheeks. Not even separated by the confines of our visual bodies.

I know you also want to run away with me somewhere to escape. I wish that thought didn’t scare me so much, but the lock seems so intimidating. Please find a pick, try every key, and release me from my current reality.

The stress on both sides of the locked door is causing us to lose our graying feathers, but I spy new bright cobalt blue pin feathers pushing through on both our wings. Try your old wing feather as a pick, and use mine with it. Let them work together as the opening key.

birds huggingI can see the door opening in my dreams, and light and color shining through. We take our first full looks at each other after several years partially concealed. What do we see? Bodies full of life again, new bright feathers head to foot. Pluck me out of jail right now with your beak, and set me free, with thee.

14 thoughts on “Pluck me from this horrid place

1. NaPropasti July 5, 2017 / 4:47 pm

What a great poem! Neruda (neither Jan nor Pablo) wouldn’t say it any better or more poetically. Locksmiths of the world to the rescue!

• updownflight July 5, 2017 / 5:47 pm

May they all free the unjustly imprisoned with two old wing feathers of grand birds. Thank you, NaPropasti!

• updownflight July 5, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Thank you, lexiejungling. I hope that by writing this the ending will come true. I’ll be searching for the right two blue cobalt wing feathers. I know they are waiting for us in a little painted heart shaped box.

• updownflight July 5, 2017 / 8:57 pm

That is so extremely kind of you to say, stoneonarollercoaster! I’m glad you liked it so much.

• updownflight July 6, 2017 / 4:12 pm

That is so sweet of you, A Writer’s Beginning. I’m glad you liked this post. I’m hopeful that the end will come true.

• updownflight July 11, 2017 / 4:58 pm

Thank you, Guari. I was very sad when I wrote that. I’m still a bit depressed, but trying to be more positive. Again today my post was sort of sad, but I’ve at least been trying to end them on a positive or encouraging note. Right now I need to get off my computer and do something rewarding.