The joy and advantages of being occasionally hidden

Hiding is so often regarded as a negative action, but throughout our lives many of us also see the joy and advantage in it. When I was a little child, small or rarely frequented spaces had great appeal. You could see me (or not) under the dining room table, looking up at its underside, fascinated by the architecture formed by the legs of the chairs on its sides. I might have also been found (or not) in my bedroom closet, a dark place near piles of shoes, with hanging clothes gently caressing my face and shoulders. Why do such hiding places appeal to many children? Well, I can’t speak for others, but for me it was a chance to own my own special space, and see things from very different perspectives.

I still like to hide on occasion for the reasons I just mentioned, but now it is in my special nook at home, in my bedroom. During the day I own that space, and with no one around, I can do anything I want without judgement or restriction. I remember when I finally got a private space at my last job; I was hidden in the corner of the company’s first floor. Rarely did anyone venture there unless they really needed me. I had a window spot that allowed me to spy the world outside. It was a place conducive to day dreaming, which I often did. Or when I worked, I again felt less restricted. Such freedom is liberating and allows me to be most creative.

nature alone totallyThough I love my walks and hikes with hubby, family and/or friends, on occasion I enjoy some time alone outside. No one is talking, or interrupting my train of thought.  The practice of mindfulness brings with it many psychological benefits, and is most easily done when completely alone. By yourself outside there is the special opportunity to feel at one with nature, if you allow yourself to absorb the sights, sounds, and feelings around you. Imagine yourself not as a person, but as just another living creature of some special making, understanding the language and purpose of life of things more often distant.

I’ve been with my husband for more than 20 years now. We know most everything about each other. But every once in a while, there is some new little hidden nugget we learn about the other that we didn’t know. At those moments I can say, at least for me, that it takes me back to that early time of discovery. I like to surprise, and be surprised by, my family and friends the same way. As we all explore new thoughts and dreams privately in our heads, we do slightly transform ourselves over time. Yes, the eventual reveal of these thoughts can bring excitement or surprise.

Where is your favorite hiding place? In what circumstances do you think being occasionally hidden is good?

28 thoughts on “The joy and advantages of being occasionally hidden

1. Savannah July 27, 2017 / 3:09 pm

I love taking walks just around my neighborhood alone. I usually ask my husband to come, but he almost never wants to, which is fine too. I also camp out on a couch in our front room (we have two living room-type spaces, and everyone likes the big back room better) to do my own thing alone when I want/need to.

• updownflight July 27, 2017 / 3:12 pm

I’m glad you enjoy that occasional alone time, Savannah. It is restorative and good for the body, mind and soul.

2. Vandana July 27, 2017 / 3:29 pm

Another lovely read, Cindy! As a kid I still remember the times when we (my cousins and younger sibling) used to line up the dining table chairs in a row, one behind the other; then use a bed cover to tent it! It used to be our hidden train compartments chugging on childhood fantasies!!

• updownflight July 27, 2017 / 3:35 pm

What a creative and wonderful picture you just created. I love trains. I never thought of creating such a “train” as a kid. I did love forts, though. Usually I put a sheet between my sister’s and my twin beds, holding the sheet tight by putting weighty stuff on each bed. Sometimes my parents even let us sleep down there as if we were in the forest in a tent. My imagination went wild and I remember once I thought I heard a lion roar.

• Vandana July 27, 2017 / 3:53 pm

Wow! that must have been real fun!! And yeah, making forts out of pillows, cushions and quilts on the bed during the wonderful winters, was another memory indeed😊. The good times of being allowed to create whatever we felt like!

• Vandana July 27, 2017 / 4:15 pm

Yes! Fun grandparents, uncles and aunts as well..

• updownflight July 27, 2017 / 4:17 pm

That’s so nice! I liked most of my relatives except for my maternal grandmother. She was more of a witch. Hated me, my sister and brother for absolutely no good reason. Funny, my mother was an absolute dream. My dad and his family were all fun-loving types.

• Vandana July 27, 2017 / 4:23 pm

Ohh, that must have been so awful! Grannys are meant to be caring! So sad you had to bear with her. But I guess the fun paternal ones would have made up to it! My maternal granny was sugar and spice and everything nice all along!

• updownflight July 27, 2017 / 4:28 pm

My paternal grandparents were wonderful! I’m glad you had a sweet maternal granny.

3. juantetcts July 27, 2017 / 5:09 pm

When I need quiet time, my favorite hiding space is in my room. I’m working on physically creating an environment of peace that can be felt as soon as I enter. Feng shui here I come!

• updownflight July 27, 2017 / 5:15 pm

That sounds like such a nice plan, juantetcts. Are there specific things you’ll put in your room that will help you achieve that?

• juantetcts July 27, 2017 / 5:36 pm

I’m still new at this and yes there is. Google Fung Shui Bedroom for tips, and there is also an app my niece just shared, Feng Shui compass that guides with our personal space. It sounds really cool!

• juantetcts July 27, 2017 / 5:41 pm

I’ll share more as I work the action plan! Just starting the research on it now!

4. NaPropasti July 27, 2017 / 6:54 pm

I wonder if hiding brings some kind of primordial pleasure of feeling safe, invisible to predators (or parents), since most children like to hide. When I was little, I also hid under the table in the dining room. The method was to push all the chairs in and lie down on the seats. My older brother, who taught me this even coined a word for it! I can’t divulge it here, it’s still secret, but it made the whole experience exponentially more adventurous and fun.

• updownflight July 28, 2017 / 12:18 pm

Thank you, dray0308. I’m glad you liked my post enough to share it. May we all enjoy and appreciate our occasional opportunities to hide, and relish in the discoveries of those hidden “nuggets” I referred to. Hopefully only good ones.

5. Terri, Reclaiming Hope July 28, 2017 / 12:31 pm

As a small child I also loved to find those out-of-the-way cubby holes. Now my “hiding place” is my office, which I’m still working on making into a sanctuary as well as a work space.

• updownflight July 28, 2017 / 12:45 pm

I still like having my own special place, too. I’m glad you are working to make your office into your special sanctuary. My husband has a home office filled with special art and knickknacks. They reflect his interests and loves alone. I like to sometimes “visit”, but I know I’m ONLY a visitor there. It’s not my place.

6. agirlwhowrites July 29, 2017 / 3:06 am

I hide wherever I feel like hiding! Back at my grandmother’s house, when I was a child, I would push two chairs together, near a small cot, and put all my precious things into it. Books, food, pencils, everything. And then I would drape a blanket over it. I still remember how I fought with the house help who wanted it moved so she could clean the place. Poor lady! But it was my special place, and I didn’t want anyone to move it. I didn’t understand then why anyone would WANT to move it. These days of course, I can’t afford to go back to grandma’s house and build that little nest of mine. But I find corners for myself whenever I need a moment alone. Sometimes it’s under a tree, sometimes its just my chair in the dorm room. I won’t be doing anything in particular, just sitting there and staring out at the tree tops most of the time, but I want to be alone. There aren’t particular times when I want to be that way. It’s just an impulse, to spend some quiet time with myself.

• updownflight July 29, 2017 / 12:24 pm

That’s so nice that you still create those fun little hiding places. I loved hearing your stories.