Bipolar and Energy Levels

I’ve been struggling to write in my blog lately, and haven’t been able to read as many other bloggers’ posts as I’d like. I’m sorry! Initially, the struggle had to do with my inability to concentrate due to various levels of bipolar mania (high energy). Now I just plain don’t have sufficient energy.

People with bipolar disorder have low energy at times because of depression, other times because of sedation from medications, or on some occasions for no real discernible reason. My low energy situation is clearly from medication sedation right now. I’m thinking that my medications should soon be adjusted. I feel like I’m literally drugged like a horse all day long, and yet when I didn’t take a morning dose, my recent energy levels were way too high. Even under normal circumstances my energy levels usually start low to normal in the morning, become overly elevated in the afternoon, and then ease at night. If compared to music, it would be like pianissimo in the morning, and then a crescendo causing fortissimo in the afternoon, back down a bit to mezzo-piano at night. It took a sedating evening medication to achieve silence for sleep.

Energy levels of both extremes affect my ability to work. Yes, I can sometimes manage the part-time equivalent of work, but that’s been usually on my good days. Low motivation and energy on days when my mood is low, or the highest energy days with it’s inappropriate behavior (e.g. impulsivity, loudness, oddness, etc.) and difficulty concentration, are barriers to productive success, too.

It’s true that some people with bipolar disorder, who are stable, can be as productive as those without the disorder, or even occasionally more productive. Even those with low-grade mood symptoms can sometimes manage. However, some of us when challenged too much will implode or explode. For such people, the challenge can seem surprisingly minor to those without the disorder. The mood fluctuations during the course of a day, for some, make productive success possible only in spurts. I find that when I get to revved up, I must step away from what I am doing. When I truly need rest, I can’t force myself to do things to the degree that others do.

I had a different post planned for today’s WordPress Daily word “crescendo”, but it is quite ambitious. Far more ambitious than this post. I’ll work on that post more some other time. Stay tuned, it will be about “The music in speech”. It requires research and other preparations I just don’t have in me right now. Actually, it’s been a work in progress for a while.

18 thoughts on “Bipolar and Energy Levels

1. Vandana September 9, 2017 / 8:04 am

I’m sad you are not keeping well, Cindy. Hope your lil parrot brings the much needed cheer on the days when you feel like doing nothing. Rest well and take care of yourself..

• updownflight September 9, 2017 / 8:20 am

Thanks, Vandana! I’m going to stop the morning dose of the particular medication. I hope that works out.

• Vandana September 9, 2017 / 8:43 am

If it works out, it will be great to have you back and we read your awesome articles like always!ā˜ŗ

2. Ellie www.newcreationsministries.wordpress.com/ September 11, 2017 / 11:48 am

As you continue to strive for a healthier existence while dealing with this debilitating illness, attempt to eat more garlic, spicy foods (which adds ore serotonin to your brain.) Check out my search engine for mod enhancers and it will help in some way. Please talk to your doctor before you give up your medication though. You are amazing amidst these trials – never give up my friend! Blessings back, ā¤

• updownflight September 11, 2017 / 12:40 pm

Hi Ellie. I will never give up my medication. My illness is far to challenging to calm with just foods or non-traditional medicine. I’ll try to get some more spicy foods in. I like garlic, but unfortunately I rarely eat it because my hubby is allergic to it.

Thanks so much for the encouragement. I know things will eventually improve with the right life situation and healing.

3. So sorry if I gave the impression that it’s that easy. (I’d never intentionally mean to be that flippant about bipolar conditions.) I realize it is the most difficult of roads to travel as I’ve been there before. But hopefully some foods will make the path a little easier as it has for me. ā¤

• updownflight September 11, 2017 / 1:12 pm

Thanks, Ellie. Know that many sources do in fact emphasize healthy lifestyle, which includes a healthy diet as a means to contribute to bipolar recovery. I have to say that I definitely could improve my eating and exercise. Sometimes it is so hard, though, because the medication I take that really do help cause appetite changes. What I need is some more motivation so I can cook some really healthful meals again. Sometimes the hunger is so extreme that I rush and eat the most convenient foods. I’ve got to make the most convenient foods more healthful.

• updownflight September 12, 2017 / 8:18 pm

You’re so right. I sometimes need to remind myself that, although I must also remind myself not to do significantly less. Sometimes it’s hard to know.

• Joanna Maguire September 14, 2017 / 7:29 am

It is really hard to get that balance. We have to keep on trying x

4. Kate Dawson September 14, 2017 / 9:47 pm

I can definitely relate. I have mixed bipolar 1, my mood fluctuates almost constantly and concentration and energy are always changing tunes. Seroquel did that to me – sedation, low energy in the morning, then revving up in the evening until my next dose at bedtime. I did just go through a med change and it’s night and day as to my energy levels, but I’m still having trouble concentrating. Thanks for sharing!

• updownflight September 14, 2017 / 10:47 pm

I hope you get your concentration back soon, Kate.

I’ve been doing fairly well on a high dose of Seroquel XR lately, but only because I’m coming off a manic episode. I’m sure my dose will be lowered again in a couple months or so.

• Kate Dawson September 14, 2017 / 10:50 pm

I was on Seroquel XR, it definitely controlled my mixed episodes, but I was on a fairly high dose and wanted to lessen it. However, I was on patient assistance and then they made it generic so I was removed from the program. Ah, meds. I hope your mania gets under control!

• updownflight September 14, 2017 / 11:37 pm

Sorry that happened.

If you ever can go on the generic, I can say that it is so far as good as the name brand for me.

• updownflight October 19, 2017 / 12:08 pm

That is so nice of you to include my blog, Jeannette! Thank you!