ghostwriting

When I saw that the WordPress Daily Prompt word was “planet”, I immediately thought of an important article I wrote some years ago. The article was about the environmental impact of the pharmaceutical industry. I wrote the article as a ghostwriter when doing freelance writing through a particular freelance work website. At the time, I hadn’t been working for quite a long time, but thought I’d dip my feet into some new minor work project.

Doing freelance writing is not all it’s cracked up to be, in my opinion! There are sometimes tight deadlines, and the pay is, may I say, sometimes pathetic! The article I’m referring to was a well over 1,000 words highly researched article. It took me a number of hours to complete to my satisfaction, and though the woman who commissioned it was highly impressed and complimentary of my work, the pay ended up being about $15. That’s total, not per hour! I have to say that I quit doing the freelance work after that lousy gig. I’d rather write articles and other types of posts for my blog for no money, and at least have the right to the byline.

Out of curiosity, I googled large portions of the above-mentioned article, and found them on three different websites with three different authors. The three “authors” seemed to be from different countries around the world. All of “their articles” contained around 60-80% of my words, with only minor changes, often poorly written. Obviously they didn’t credit each other for any of my shared content, so they ultimately plagiarized. Or I guess you could say that. In any case, I have no claim to the content having ghostwritten it, so I’m sorry that I couldn’t share the article with you.

The environmental impact of the pharmaceutical industry is a very significant problem in the world, one that many of us contribute to by flushing medications down the toilet (even after they’ve gone through us), or otherwise discarding improperly. Consumers are also not the only polluters of pharmaceutical waste; hospitals, doctors, agribusiness, and other sources contribute to the problem, as well. I encourage anyone reading this post to research the topic of pharmaceutical wastes on your own. I’d post the original article, but I’m afraid it could potentially get me in trouble.

I realize that some readers are more than willing to ghostwrite articles, but just be sure that before doing so, you are willing to give away your words forever.

17 thoughts on “Ghostwriting – There are people all over the planet claiming authorship to my words

1. gregoryjosephs September 25, 2017 / 9:46 pm

Grr! How incredibly frustrating! Well, I’m glad it’s just the one article. Perhaps you should be flattered? 😉

• updownflight September 25, 2017 / 9:55 pm

It was frustrating! I guess I could be flattered.

The woman/company that sold my article was obviously shady selling it to at least three different people/companies.

2. marandarussell September 26, 2017 / 1:18 am

I actually really enjoy ghostwriting, but I do understand how you feel. Most of my projects have actually paid fairly well, but there have been at least one or two over the years that made me regret agreeing to do them for a low price. Nowadays most of my freelance work is actually writing reviews, which pays pretty well, gets me free stuff, and does allow for me to claim my own words. I use my blog mostly to share my more creative writing.

• updownflight September 26, 2017 / 10:43 am

Thanks for sharing that mirandarussell! I’m glad you found lucrative work. May I ask where such jobs are offered?

My last major job (I’m not working) was in Marking. I did a lot writing in my position. It paid well, but it was boring.

• updownflight September 26, 2017 / 10:51 am

Definitely don’t! I hope someone can share some good leads on where to find lucrative writing jobs, other than major magazines and corporations, and the like.

3. Vandana September 26, 2017 / 6:30 am

Terrible. I used to do ghostwriting just after I finished college. Never liked the way people blatantly used it.

• updownflight September 26, 2017 / 10:54 am

I don’t know if I will ever do freelance writing again, unless I really land a special opportunity.

• Vandana September 26, 2017 / 2:10 pm

Me too..ten years ago, soon after college,I thought the best way to get my creative writings recognised would be through freelancing..but as you mentioned ghostwriting is the worst pursuit, definitely..

4. zlotybaby September 29, 2017 / 1:19 pm

I can’t do ghostwriting. It makes me feel to sad to be anonymous when I write. As you say, there’s a lot of effort one puts in an article, it’s a shame to have it used like your. If you want to get paid decently for writing, it takes time. You can always think about monetizing your blog, you have enough following for that!

• updownflight September 29, 2017 / 1:33 pm

I took an online class which taught me how to find various types of writing jobs. When the time comes I’ll try to apply some of that knowledge. The instructor certainly wrote what you did, that success can take time and a lot of work. I know that the competition for good jobs is tough.

At what point is it that most people monetize their blogs? I am grateful for my 600+ followers and average daily views of 100+, but I always thought these numbers must be much higher. One disadvantage I have is that I choose not to link my blog to social media. I do that for a personal reasons. I’m also hesitant to pay for traffic.

• zlotybaby September 29, 2017 / 8:08 pm

They say that everything that’s good takes time and effort 😉 I know it’s tedious but I’m being hopeful. I got my first proper writing gig yesterday, after years and years of blogging and writing other free content. I guess my last job was partially content creation too.

That’s the question! We managed to get freebies already for rinse and we have above 400 followers. Paid advertising is an option for even not truly popular blogs, because they only pay you if they get traffic from you. I’m figuring these things out myself now 😉 Problogger (website and podcast) seems to be a good source of advice.

• updownflight September 29, 2017 / 9:21 pm

Thanks for the tip, zlotbaby, and congratulations on your new gig!

5. aparna_097 October 2, 2017 / 5:40 pm

That’s really bad. Btw can you explain what’s a ghostwriter exactly

• updownflight October 2, 2017 / 5:51 pm

Hi aparna_097. A ghostwriter is a person (almost always paid) to write some content/article/book/etc. for another person who takes credit for the writing. In these cases, the original writer is not named.

When I did ghostwriting, it was for a person/group that commissioned my writing for money (a very small amount), which they eventually sold to another person who took credit for the writing. In my post, I complain that the person who commissioned my writing sold my article to more than one person. Perhaps some small parts of the article were changed, but most of the article I wrote was exactly the same on all three websites (three different “authors”).

It is possible to find lucrative ghostwriting jobs, but usually only for major books and similar.

• aparna_097 October 2, 2017 / 5:55 pm

Ok. I have never heard of that term before.I get it now.