What is your wellness resolution for next year?

wellness

I received an e-mail from a mental health-related organization asking members to think about making a wellness resolution for 2018. Though many of you reading this may not have a mental illness, I bet a lot of you do deal with stress in your life, and maybe because of that, your health may be affected in small or even larger ways. Or if not, there are always ways to even further increase psychological, physical, or even spiritual wellness. New Years Day is coming up in just a few days, and the pressure to make a resolution of sorts is here. I happen to think wellness resolutions trump other types in that they can be among the most doable and beneficial of them all.

My thoughts in coming up with a wellness resolution is not about setting any strict and possibly hard to attain goals (like losing 10 pounds in a month, or training to walk 5 miles per day in two months), but rather committing to doing something that you can definitely achieve with just some minor planning and kindness to yourself in mind. Little changes or additions to your daily life CAN make big differences over time, and even if you end up taking a step back now and then in implementing them, they are less apt to totally fall to the wayside completely. Feeling better little by little can actually create the motivation to eventually achieve bigger things.

There are a number of things I’d like to do to improve my wellness, but I’m only going to start with one not to overwhelm myself. Hmm? I know listening to a little more music every day would enrich my life more. I know that adding at least one more vegetable and fruit to my day would make me a little healthier, and even curb my appetite a bit. Making a point to touch base with my husband during working hours with a short funny or romantic poem or note (like I used to do) would not only help me, but even him…which inevitably helps me. These are just some of my ideas, none of which are beyond my present ability to do. I know that whatever wellness resolution I pick, I need to get into the habit of doing it (a routine), and not let it fall to the wayside. Perhaps in the beginning, I set up a reminder on my phone or MS Outlook, or put a sticky note on my bathroom mirror. Or tell my husband to hold me accountable. For real!

I received the e-mail about wellness resolutions just a couple of hours after actually taking an important wellness-related step. I happen to be on disability, and am already a few steps on the path of a new and brighter era in my life. I am home alone most all of the day with my pet parrot. Though isolating in my room with my dear bird has felt cozy and safe during hard times, I know that as months pass, it does me no good. I’ve already started to get out among people more. Stepping up those efforts, I think, would be the most beneficial wellness resolution for me to pursue right now. I’ve been looking at various volunteer opportunities in my area, as well as different types of programs held during the daytime. I want to accept more social invitations, and offer a couple, too. I need this gradual increased exposure to the outside world again.

What would the benefits be to me leaving my safe nook more? Well, decreasing anxiety a little at a time, enriching my day with smiling faces and more conversations, and a type of endurance for being out of my isolation that maybe some of you may not understand. With my condition (bipolar disorder), huge steps often lead to big relapse. Baby steps are crucial. Actually, I think baby steps also work better for most people.

Consider thinking about a wellness resolution for you. Feel a little better in the coming year!

13 thoughts on “What is your wellness resolution for next year?

1. marandarussell December 28, 2017 / 8:05 pm

Listening to more music definitely sounds good! I’m not sure what my goal is or should be. Hmmm…

2. Beth December 29, 2017 / 1:49 am

That’s a great idea! Sometimes we forget to look after number one but we really need to! Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. bravingmentalillness December 30, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Listening to music is great! I think mine would be, remembering self-care is most important no matter what so….. taking rest when needed without fail. Happy New Year!

• updownflight December 31, 2017 / 5:15 pm

I’d like to concentrate more on self-care, too. I’m hoping the ideas I have in mind help with that.

• bravingmentalillness December 31, 2017 / 5:49 pm

😀😀

4. Touching Madness January 2, 2018 / 10:38 am

Stability? Is that a thing? Ok…no really…just trying to stay more positive. Hope your new years starts well! tc

• updownflight January 2, 2018 / 1:32 pm

Indeed it is. I hope you find it soon if not already. Wishing you a happy (or at least better) year in 2018!

5. besticanbe January 3, 2018 / 4:19 pm

I don’t like making New Year’s Resolutions in January because I always forget to follow them by February. Instead I make a goal, the same one every year, to stay well and out of hospital. I have Bipolar1 too.

For me stress causes relapse, I think this applies to most illnesses, so I make a point of not getting overwhelmed by trying to take on too much at once. The daily routine I try to stick to is called the Daily Maintenance Program. (This term was keyed by Mary Ellen Copeland many years ago). Basically, it means taking care of yourself by paying attention to sleep patterns – getting to bed and waking up at the same time each day – eating a healthy diet, exercising and other things like rest, journaling, being outside for fifteen minutes a day, taking vitamins. What ever it takes to stay well.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2018..

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 4:57 pm

besticanbe, it sounds like you have already been quite committed to your wellness and doing many things. I bet that if you keep up these things, the chance of you being hospitalized will be slim, or at least greatly reduced. I hope that you will do something that would give you pleasure that you have been putting off. That is just another example beyond what you listed that would be a person’s wellness resolution.

Happy and healthy 2018 to you, too!

6. blindeyes19 January 6, 2018 / 11:01 pm

Mine is losing at least 20 pounds, finishing school and staying more positive. Encourage people with my writing and help (thelifebehindblindeyes.com) and spending more time with my kids.

• updownflight January 7, 2018 / 3:44 am

All the best with meeting your goals. I know they are certainly attainable. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for using your writing to help others.