Treat Yourself to a “Self-Care Day” for Your Pleasure and Wellness

self care dayI read a couple of articles this week that referred to “Self-Care Days”. Basically, “Self-Care Days” are like “Mental Health Days”, but the re-wording removes the implication that one’s mental health may be affected leading to the need for a special break. I believe that everyone needs a day once in a while where you can leave responsibilities behind, like an escape, treat yourself to some TLC, and have fun in exactly the way you choose. So often people that are considered well don’t give themselves such a treat.

For some, having a “Self-Care Day” home alone (without children and/or spouse) can provide a particularly special freedom. It is ideally a day when you leave your laptop at work and have no appointments on your schedule. It’s hopefully a day you concentrate on making yourself experience pleasure, relief, and “me” time. Maybe monitoring phone calls instead of picking them up. Telling your kids or spouse to only call in case of emergency.

freedomWhat a person does for themselves on a “Self-Care Day” is a personal choose. For one person it could be going to the spa for a massage and facial. For another, it could be going for a walk or to the YMCA for a swim, followed by a coffee and cookie at the café with a good book. Or perhaps it could be something more urgent (like a doctor’s visit) that you’ve been putting off repeatedly, but finally convinced yourself to do once and for all. Keep in mind that that might rather be a candidate for a personal day vs. a “Self-Care Day”. Either way, making yourself pick a day you block off on your calendar is a good step in self-care.

When and how many “Self-Care Days” are taken can be up to you. Maybe a day is truly needed in the midst of a chaotic work period. Maybe some people are willing to dedicate a few or more vacation days per year to give themselves some short work weeks by taking off a few Fridays.

I happen to have a mental illness, so have taken several “Mental Health Days” in the past. Generally they were quite necessary in order for me to help curb a developing depression, calm stress that could lead to mania (I have bipolar disorder), or take time to work through current anxiety. In these cases, some mental strife was already present. The “Self-Care Day” in my view, is a bit different. It is a day when you strengthen yourself and wellness further, find that extra little bit of joy and pleasure that has been hard to grasp, or relish your own individuality that seems blurry amidst the you that is so deeply involved with family and/or work.

Have you ever taken a “Self-Care Day” as I described? What did you do? Or what would you want to do on such a special day?

26 thoughts on “Treat Yourself to a “Self-Care Day” for Your Pleasure and Wellness

1. Roda January 3, 2018 / 4:59 pm

Beautifully said! Self care is the most powerful gift you can give yourself! I love this post!💚

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 5:01 pm

Thanks so much, Roda! I hope you find a special day (or days) this coming year to further explore yourself and/or some things or activities you love.

• Roda January 3, 2018 / 5:02 pm

I set aside one day a week for intuitive work/painting. It is my gift to myself!

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 5:08 pm

That sounds lovely! I wish I could paint. I can really imagine that as being a special way of focusing on yourself positively. However, I won’t say that I have never had such an activity. Dance was always my passion. Almost every day, for some years, I would come home from work and put on the music and dance for myself. I regret that fell to the wayside. I’d like to start that up again.

• Roda January 3, 2018 / 5:10 pm

You need a 10 minute Daily Dance party for yourself!!!

• Roda January 3, 2018 / 6:32 pm

I see an 80’s dance party in your future!!!

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 7:39 pm

OMG! I love 80’s music! That’s my decade when I was in my teens. U2 here I come.

• Roda January 3, 2018 / 11:54 pm

Me too! I graduated from high school in 1990!

2. celtics345 January 3, 2018 / 5:09 pm

I like to take them after a long period of writing. I can write up to 7 chapters so the next day I will be tired. With writing its my passion so off days are not often what I want to take. Writing is like a self care day no matter how I am feeling that day I can express it through writing.I have a bad virus and I still end up writing. Self care for me is playing games watching movies. Low key.

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 5:13 pm

celtics345, I can relate to writing as self care, as well. Another blogger just wrote about using painting as self care. I mentioned also how my dancing felt like self care. It certainly seems that any creative endeavor allows us a certain freedom to “release” what is in us, giving us a type of relief. Do you see any of yourself in your writing? Has it helped you in any way understand yourself better?

• celtics345 January 3, 2018 / 5:39 pm

Well I am writing a horror book where I can take that anger and illness and put it into the story so it seems so real. I get real creative sometimes and if you are angry, been sick for the last 6 miserable weeks it deff helps createa horror story to release it in the story. I see a lot of myself in the story. The writing has been the only thing that has kept me somewhat happy because I know its something when I get better I can look forward. I think a lot of problems and stress can all be representative of the monster in a creative way.

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 7:34 pm

celtics345, you really helped me to better understand the reason why you like and focus on horror stories so much. I’m so glad that you get rid of some of that “monster” onto your keyboard. Intensity, which horror stories are very full of, can be beyond amazing at times.

It makes me sad when some people with bipolar disorder say they have lost their creativity. I believe most, however, eventually get it back. It’s clear that many of us, like you, retain creativity. I think it helps us always retain who we are. That’s why in this post about “Self-Care Day” I emphasized how self-care involves nurturing and discovering more about ourselves.

• celtics345 January 3, 2018 / 7:47 pm

I think people who say they lost their creativity can be in tough shape far from stable and they really need to work on themselves with therapy and pdoc and just taking it easy and be patient before they can go back to writing. Believe me my books are scary and my sister has told me they are disturbing. If I hear that I am doing my job right. I am having fun with a fan fic book of A Nightmare On Elm Street I have added new elements to it and its become more biblical with a god like woman who can be a fair match to Freddy Kruger but her powers are controlled by a higher power and she can’t be released to fight Freddy until the higher power releases her. In the mean time the kids have to do their best to combat Freddy Julie is the female freddy in the book. , In the hospital a weekend dr read a article i was writing on stress and she really liked it. the student dr liked my short stories too. Yea it was my sister who said the monster was just made up by my mind a monster that can change shape and uncontrollable how diabetes can be you never know when your diabetes will get worse. it was something bothering me at the time i exercised and ate right but it didnt make a difference i needed the insulin the diabetes used to stress me way out it was a source of creativity that came out in the book.

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 8:27 pm

I like that a scary male character will have a scary female character to contend with 🙂

It’s great that you can deal with both your mental health and physical challenges with writing. I hope your diabetes is under control now.

• celtics345 January 3, 2018 / 8:36 pm

Yea my Diabetes is good I finally got the right dose of insulin that was very difficult and stressful it took time to find the right dose of insulin. But with my Bipolar and Diabetes under control I get back to having fun writing. A lot of interest in this book from readers and fans. It’s actually a female Freddy no male Freddy in this one and she has to contend with a female god like spirit. Turns the book into some what a fantasty horror one thing for sure this Nightmare is different

3. Kate Dawson January 3, 2018 / 6:05 pm

Yes. I eat good food, take a bath, light candles, watch a comforting movie, or go out on a hike/walk. I need to expand my options, however. I like your ideas.

• updownflight January 3, 2018 / 7:37 pm

It sounds like a fun task to expand your options. You are doing so many good things for your self care. I need to improve my diet. I know that when I eat better it makes a difference. Thanks for sharing, Kate.

4. bravingmentalillness January 4, 2018 / 2:56 am

Oh yes, yes, yes!!! It’s not often, but it’s worth the wait. Every two weeks my husband and son spend the entire Saturday and Sunday outside of the house hanging out. It’s so nice… peace and quiet… I can catch up on my ratchet TV shows hehe shhh don’t tell hehe 😀

• bravingmentalillness January 4, 2018 / 4:39 pm

5. besticanbe January 11, 2018 / 3:57 am

Seeing as I spend so much time alone in the house, getting out and socializing is the way I have a ‘self-care day’. It’s good to be around people, even those who don’t know I suffer from mental illness. I find isolation is the worst thing for depression. Getting dressed up and putting make up on makes me feel human too.

• updownflight January 11, 2018 / 1:24 pm

I hope we both get out for lots of positive excursions and meetups this year.