Abandoned writing ideas filling up my closed idea drawer

writing desk drawerIt’s been 13 days since my last blog post. I’m fully aware of these days passing by. I wonder if my regular followers have forgotten me or figured I fell off the blog writer’s map. Before Christmas, I posted a joke photo that I called “Writer’s Block”, which showed my sleeping parrot blocking my access to my laptop keyboard.  Though I have posted about five or six things since then, my productivity has clearly been affected, and I can’t blame my bird boy.

During this quiet time on my blog, I have had a few ideas for posts, as well as post ideas from the past. I have what I call my “Idea Drawer”, which is my MS Word folder containing the beginnings of posts that I started and stopped for various reasons. I counted them today, and they number 17. That seems like a lot of abandoned ideas to me. Some contain just a title and maybe a sentence or two. Some contain notes only. In both of these cases, I either ran out of steam in the writing process, or even became overwhelmed with the amount of research I’d need to do to really do the post justice. A third category of abandoned writing ideas are near complete posts that I was just unhappy with, or not in the right state of mind to post. I’ve looked through these, and would like to someday pursue some of the ideas. Others, I’m wondering if I should just delete altogether because they no longer seem relevant to today.

Right now I’m on the cusp of a new period in my life. I can really feel it, but am at the same time not entirely sure what will happen. Hmm? I told my psychiatrist that I’m not depressed, but my productivity overall (not just for writing) has been decreased. I have looked for various opportunities to fill my days in new and beneficial ways, but everything I find seems wrong for me. I list some things I could do outside of the house, but then tell myself I’d rather not because it’s cold out there, because the outings cost too much, or because…I just don’t want to, I don’t feel up to it, or I just don’t care about it. I do indeed come up with excuses. In the meantime, nothing is happening.

I’m going to try to get something going on my blog again, even if I have to drag it out of me. I’ve got those mostly or fully written posts I mentioned. I’m going to grab one out of the “Idea drawer” and send it out into the world, even if it is a reflection from another time. I’m going to set a goal to do SOMETHING this week worthy of writing about. I need that inspiration.

8 thoughts on “Abandoned writing ideas filling up my closed idea drawer

1. Nel January 16, 2018 / 11:08 pm

Didn’t forget about you Cindy! Dry spell happens sometimes. I like your idea drawer idea though. I think you should roll with it as inspiration hits! 😁

• updownflight January 16, 2018 / 11:15 pm

Thanks, Nel! Just writing this post has actually inspired a new idea. I wrote a couple of paragraphs for it already. I’ll try to finish it up and post it tomorrow. I might even include a trip this week or next, which might add to it.

2. Darlene J Lane January 16, 2018 / 11:20 pm

Hi Cyndy could you write about your wedding etc. Because I had wanted to attend but was out of state at that time…..I do enjoy your writing ✍🏼 Or some of your times in China.

3. kim January 17, 2018 / 12:29 am

Just remember those old ideas that may not mean much to you today, may mean a lot to one or some of us who are trying to manage this Bipolar maze. Kim

• updownflight January 17, 2018 / 10:43 am

I know you are so right. I have a few posts in my “idea drawer” that fit that category. I’ll just have to precede them with a note stating when I wrote them so my followers know they don’t reflect my current mood/situation. Oh how things do change! It’s good to remember that.

4. JumbledRambles January 22, 2018 / 2:06 pm

You seem to feel how I feel at the moment. On the edge of something new, of life changing. I too have ideas scribbled down (though mine are in a notebook – I’m a little old skool!) – sometimes a title only, sometimes ideas, occasionally whole paragraphs drifting with no anchor. Every so often I go through and clear out ones that no longer seem apt or just not right for me anymore. Then I tend to look at the rest doubting whether they are good enough or feeling that I cannot do them justice….so I then either write nothing or something completely different. Hope things improve soon lovely x

• updownflight January 22, 2018 / 2:29 pm

We really do seem to be in a similar place, JumbledRambles! I’ll look forward to when both of us get going again and what the ideas are.