Week 1 – Friday Fitness & Weight Loss Restart (Water Weight Loss)

Water weight loss

As announced in my post two days ago, Weight/Fitness Journey Restarts, I finally restarted my journey towards better health. Though it’s only been four days since I started tracking my food intake, and staying within a designated allowance, I have already seen a most pleasant reduction in my weight. Normally my weigh-ins will be every seven days, on Fridays, but look what’s happened already after four:

Weight Change (Week 1 – partial week):  – 2.6 lbs ( – 1.18 kg)

Exercise:  My Hubby and I agreed to do some deliberate exercise EVERY DAY of the week, even if it’s just a brief walk or bit of calisthenics. We’ve kept to that word these past four days, even walking in the rain.

Water Weight Loss: I am proud of my large weight loss in JUST 4 DAYS, but I realize that some of that loss is water weight. According to a Health.com article (click here), it’s highly possible that some is a result of the time of the month of my menstrual cycle (I’m a woman), but also my sudden significant reduction of carbohydrates. Note that I am not following an especially low carbohydrate diet, but clearly my former carbohydrate intake was quite excessive. My high triglycerides attest to that, as well.

I have not reduced my water intake. In fact, I have increased it slightly and aim for at least 65 fl oz (about 2 liters) or more per day. The article How Drinking More Water Can Help You Lose Weight states that drinking lots of water can increase your metabolism, act as an appetite suppressant, cleanse your body of certain wastes, and even help your body STOP retaining water. It’s necessary to drink a lot of liquids on these hot days and when I exercise a lot. Also, it’s crucial for keeping my kidneys healthy, as I have mild kidney damage from past Lithium medication use. I actually feel and look a little less bloated.

Interim goals:  I’m aiming to get down to the next 10 lb weight bracket. Given this week’s loss, that will require an additional 3.5 lb (1.59 kg) weight loss. Upon reaching that, I will set a new interim goal. I also intend to continue the daily exercise.

Recipe Share

Flounder Piccata – From skinnytaste.com website –  click here for recipe and photo. Low calorie and highly recommended as listed. This is how I made it yesterday. If you wish, make it even lower calorie and carb by eliminating the breadcrumbs, and instead of cooking in a skillet, bake at 350 F for about 10 to 15 mins, while making the piccata sauce in skillet or even sauce pan, if baking separately.

Lentils herbs ham egg hatLentils “Hash” with Herbs and Egg on Top – My recipe that can be found by clicking here. It can be made with chopped ham in it, or as a vegetarian dish with a variety of pre-sautéed vegetables and mushrooms. This is very filling “comfort food” and is based on a traditional dish served on New Year’s Day in Czech Republic. The lentils represent wealth or luck in the New Year. I’ve made it with ham many times. Two days ago, I made it vegetarian with pre-sauteed chopped onion, parsnip, carrot, celeriac, and mushrooms. Hubby and I love it!

Angel Food Cake Light with strawberry glaze

Sugar Free Naturally Fat Free Angel Food Cake– I have made two versions of this in the past, both with success. One made with powdered sucralose (i.e. Splenda) OR Swerve granular, and regular all-purpose flour (pictured with sugar free strawberry glaze) – click here for livingsweetmoments.com recipe. Another made with Swerve Confectioners and whole wheat pastry flour – click here for swervesweet.com recipe. The latter does have a slight “whole grain” sort of taste and color, but provides a bit of fiber, that the other recipe lacks. Taste-wise, the one with all-purpose flour is slightly preferred, but the whole wheat pastry flour version is still a treat. I use almond extract, but vanilla is always an option.

Approach: Beyond exercise, my weight loss approach is based on a Mediterranean style diet and a former Weight Watchers diet approach called the “Core Plan”, which includes lots of fruit and vegetables, whole grains and pulses, lean proteins, low fat or fat free dairy products, small amount of healthy fats (i.e. olive, canola, avocado), and extremely limited amounts of refined sugars and non-whole grain carbs. I am also using MyFitnessPal (MFP) to track my foods consumed, and provide guidance on daily calorie, carbohydrate, fat, protein, and salt intake.

See you next Friday!

18 thoughts on “Week 1 – Friday Fitness & Weight Loss Restart (Water Weight Loss)

1. Kelly July 25, 2020 / 10:25 am

Hey you, it’s Kelly, we haven’t spoken for a while but I always read your blogs as they’re so interesting. Glad to see you and hubby are in the health kick/workout and diet, I’m not much of a cook, but the recipes you shared look simple and delicious, might have to try one. Keep us posted as you will inspire many readers..Wishing you all the best…❤😍.

• updownflight July 25, 2020 / 11:03 am

Hi Kelly! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind and encouraging words. I do very much hope you are feeling well.

I remember that you have always enjoyed exercise. I especially remember your power walks and snow shoeing. My husband and I are taking lots of walks, but need to add even more power to them 😉

• Mark Holley July 28, 2020 / 11:22 am

Heya Kelly. Did you used to be on MDJunction? This is Mark. 🙂

• Kelly Leger July 28, 2020 / 11:43 am

Yes Mark, nice to hear from you hope life is treating you well! 😉😊

2. celtics345 July 26, 2020 / 10:05 pm

I’ve fallen down on my walks and eating half unhealthy its either too hot out or i dont feel motivated i went at night for a walk it was still hot. i dont see my diabetes nurse for 6 months so i can make a comeback in the fall

• updownflight July 27, 2020 / 12:11 pm

I dislike the heat and am also looking forward to cooler seasons. Autumn is usually my favorite.

I hope you stay well. I know you work hard at keeping your diabetes in check.

3. Mark Holley July 28, 2020 / 11:23 am

Happy for you updownflight! Keep up the good work. 🙂

• updownflight July 28, 2020 / 12:17 pm

Thanks much, Mark! I have done well again this week. I look forward to my Friday weigh in.

4. updownflight July 28, 2020 / 12:22 pm

It’s so nice to see some MDJ family members again! 😊

5. Lisa Ricci August 5, 2020 / 3:45 pm

quarentine 15 right here, Thanks for sharing. Need to get back in action soon.

• updownflight August 5, 2020 / 3:59 pm

I hope life can get back to more of a normal soon. Thanks for reading and following my blog, Lisa. I’m glad many of us are using this opportunity to concentrate on healthier eating.

6. the island vegan August 28, 2020 / 2:28 pm

Good luck on your journey! I recently committed to eating better and working out regularly myself. I hope we both achieve our goals! 🙂

• updownflight August 29, 2020 / 3:57 am

Thanks, and all the best on your health journey, too!

• updownflight November 9, 2020 / 2:55 pm

Thanks so much, drchloethinge! I know how good it feels. I also know how bad it feels when I don’t eat a healthful diet. This fitness/weight loss effort got off to a great start for me, but I confess it’s been on hold for a bit because of many issues in my life. It will be picked up again.

7. Kevo Smith - 100% Natural Weight Loss Capsules November 17, 2020 / 1:05 pm

Water is 100% free of calories, it can help you burn your calories and may even suppress your appetite. Water is an easy way to cut back on sugar and calories. Thanks for your post on your progress. Enjoye it..

8. enisanodunayo November 26, 2020 / 6:28 am

Congrats on discovering this early and good luck with your weight loss journey.